Tuesday 9 December 2008

French Toast with A Twist




Been in a cooking frenzy over the long weekend. Saw this done on channel 69 on the Restaurant Makeover programme and have been wanting to try it out. The actual recipe calls for sauteed spiced peaches to be sandwiched into thick toast, then dipping the whole piece of bread into egg mixture and pan fried in oil, served with cruncy roasted macademia nuts, drizzled over with maple syrup and dusted with icing sugar...mmm...heavenly.

Well, with a toddler at home, I gotta watch the sugar and oil amounts I use, so this is my version. Nectarine was aplenty at home, so I sliced 3 just ripe nectarine and sauteed it in a little olive oil with grounded cinnamon and light brown sugar till soft but not overly soft. The skin of the nectarine was kept on, so it bleeds into the juices, giving a nice pink rose hue. Next, I dipped multi-grain bread in the whisked eggs and pan fried till golden sans the oil(I used a non-stick pan of course).

Maple syrup.....yums....the real thing and not those corn syrup with maple flavouring you get at fast food restaurants.

No comments: