Tuesday 9 December 2008

Kimbap



I fell in love with this Korean sushi when I first tasted it over a year ago. Ed brought a roll back made by his Korean tenant. Some people don't like it cos they think it is soggy sushi, but I love the assortment of tastes - sweet, salty without the vinegar. Mine you I still love Japanese sushi.

My sushi rice and nori seaweed have been sitting in my cupboard for months...begging me to use them *haha*. So one afternoon last week, whilst Nicole was at my in laws place, I was hard at work in the kitchen.

The traditional recipe calls for minced beef/pork to be used. I substituted with vegetarian minced meat. I fried it with some garlic and shallots (the authentic Korean version will of course not have garlic and shallots), dark soy and sesame oil. Next I stir fried some mushrooms and carrots and chinese spinach (all because these are Nicole's favourite veggies). Made some omelette strips, cut the japanese cucumber into strips and rolled it all up with sushi rice and seaweed. Oh yes, the sushi rice was cooked and cooled beforehand. And just as it is fairly cool, stir in sesame oil and light soy or salt. Do use a damp cloth to keep the rice moist as you are preparing everything else, a step I forgot which resulted in a drier rice texture.

Verdict - taste is there, just need to brush up on my rolling technique. Oh yea, don't be too greedy like me trying to pile on as much "liao" as possible in 1 roll. My first roll was bursting at the seams and I had to wrap it up in cling film to keep it in place!!! When ready with the rolls, you can roll them up in aluminium foil and store in a cool place till you are ready to serve. For us we just eat the whole roll as it is (aka sandwich style) or you can slice it up and serve sushi style. Sauce wise, a nice korean sweet chilli sauce is good enough. For me, I eat it without any sauce.

Comment from hubby: First time I eat sushi and am so full!

No comments: