Friday 29 June 2007

Belado Inspired Bean Curd


I was inspired by this dish called Terong Belado after trying it for the first time recently. Terong Belado is basically grilled eggplant with chilli & tomato sauce. It also has onions, garlic, galangal (blue ginger) and ginger in it. So as usual, I decided to experiment at home.


I didn't have eggplant so I used firm bean curd (tau kwa) instead. Yes yes, no semblance of eggplant, but who says I wanted to replicate the dish? *hehe* For the sauce, no chilli for me, cos I was nursing a sore throat, no onions cos I am still nursing my little one, and I didnt have galangal on hand. So what became of the sauce? Jane's Savoury Tomato & Garlic Sauce!!!
For those of you who wanna give this a shot, here goes.
Bean Curd with Savoury Tomato & Garlic Sauce
Prep time: 5-7min; Cooking time: 20 min
Cost: approx. S$2
Serves 2-3pax
2pcs medium tau kwa
2 semi-ripe tomatoes
3-4 cloves garlic, skinned
1/2 tbsp tau cheo (fermented soy beans)
Method
Drain the tau kwa of excess water by wiping with kitchen towel papers. Bake in the oven at 130C for about 20min.
Blend the tomatoes, garlic and tau cheo in food processor till fine (unless you prefer it lumpy). Pour the sauce over the tau kwa and bake for a further 10min. Alternatively, you can warm up the sauce in a frying pan (oil is optional) and pour it over the tau kwa before serving.
Simple yet nutritious eh?


The outcome was pretty good. From afar, the sauce reminded my hubby of chilli crab.

No comments: