Saturday 23 June 2007

Quick Mee Sua Soup


This is my 5th attempt to publish this post!!! Each time I sit down to do this, I am interupted, usually by my daughter. *sigh*

It was one of those evenings when I was feeling really exhausted from looking after the little one, so dinner had to be something simple. I love using this recipe when I am stretched for time or can't be bothered to cook too much. It is also very satisfying to have this on a cold (wish is was winter and snowing) day.

I do use some organic ingredients but it is up to you. For this dish, I prefer to use organic mee sua cos it does not have the white floury substance that clouds the soup when you throw it into the dish directly. For non-organic mee sua, you will need to boil it separately in another pot before dishing it together with the soup, unless you don't mind the cloudiness.


Quick Mee Sua Soup
Prep time: 20min; Cooking time: 10min; Cost: approx S$7
Serves 2 adults

4 pcs organic mee sua

4 cloves garlic, finaly chopped

300-400gm seasonal vegeatable (I used baby xiao bai cai)

1 pkt brown shimeiji mushrooms (white is fine too)

1 pc medium sized tau kwa (firm bean curd)

2 eggs

liquid amino (or light soy sauce)

2 heaped tablespoons or organic chickpea miso*

1.2 - 1.3litres boiled water

oil for frying


Method
Slice the tau kwa into strips (thickness is up to) and bake it in the oven at 130C for about 15-20min, depending on the thickness.

Fry the garlic till slightly brown then add a few dashes of liquid amino (or light soy sauce). Toss in the shimeiji mushrooms and baked tau kwa and stir fry for about 2minutes. Add the seasonal vegetables and mix well. Add the water and let it boil. Once boiling point is reached, toss in the mee sua. Let it cook for about 2 minutes then add the eggs. I like the eggs poached. But if you like it broken up, feel free to do so. The soup will turn slightly cloudy. Once the egg is cooked, add 1-2 more dashes of liquid amino (or light soy sauce) if preferred then turn off the fire. Stir in the chickpea miso at this point until well mixed into the soup. Your meal is ready to be served!

* miso should never be boiled as it kills off the life enzymes in it. You may use other types of miso for this dish but I prefer chickpea miso for it has a milder taste and a rounder finishing to it. It also gives off a hint of wine in the soup. Mmmm....lovely :p

Tip
Baked tau kwa is healthier and can be done hours before cooking time. I normally bake the tau kwa in the morning when I have time and leave it in the fridge till cooking time.



No comments: